The amount was realized from 499 drivers who were arrested for breaching traffic regulations on various roads in Accra.
A police statement said, “The exercise which started on 17th June 2019, has so far covered specific roads noted for reckless driving within and outside Accra to ensure sanity and safety. These roads include Spintex, Legon by-pass, Dawhenya, Pokuase-Amasaman, Kasoa-Weija, Adenta-Dodowa among others.”
According to the police, most of the drivers were arrested for offences such as;
1. Driving on the shoulders of the road,
2. Driving on the wrong side of the road,
3. Driving without a license,
4. Use of motor vehicle without Road Worthy Certificate,
5. Use of motor vehicle without an insurance policy,
6. Misuse of siren and
7. Misuse of Trade Plate
The police said most of the drivers arrested were driving private vehicles including “pickup trucks, government vehicles and 4x4s.”
“This exercise will continue and motorists are once again reminded to adhere strictly to road traffic laws at all times to ensure safety on the roads,” the police said.